We have had a couple of complex electrical problems (relating to steam humidifiers and some necessary rewiring work) which no... read more
Just had hi hats installed in my living room Steve and Mike installed them.They did an outstanding job.They look beautiful.They... read more
Always work well done!!. Haven't used them in quite a while because all of their work is solid!!. I just... read more
Your team went to my parents (John and Kathy Jagoda from Massapequa Park) house and were beyond professional. They took... read more
Dave and Steve did an awesome job! They were very professional, clean, and also friendly! I felt bad, Dave... read more
I have used Fielack Electric to do all my electrical work for the last 10-15 years. I am involved with... read more
Found Fielack from Home Advisor. From the minute I called I felt very comfortable with them. I don’t remember the... read more
When Long Islanders are in need of electrical services, Fielack Electrical is a top electrical company on Long Island. For over 20 years, the licensed electricians have been providing outstanding electrical work. They have the skill and experience that’s necessary to tackle every job safely and affordably. Whether you need to have your electrical system upgraded or you are interested in installing new features, you can count on the crew at Fielack Electric to not only meet your needs, but exceed them.
In an effort to save money – or just for bragging rights – a lot of homeowners try to handle their own electrical work. While attempting to do the work yourself is commendable, and in some cases, it may be just fine, there are times when calling a qualified electrical company is a safer (not to mention more cost-effective) option.
But how do you know when calling an electrician is a better approach than DIY? Here’s a look at six signs that indicate calling a professional is an absolute must.
Your Circuit Keeps Tripping
If your circuit breaker is constantly tripping, you definitely need to call a licensed electrician.
A breaker is designed to trip when circuits are overloaded. This feature prevents wires from overheating and potentially sparking a fire. When a breaker frequently trips, it may be a sign that your circuits are overloaded. An electrician will be able to properly diagnose and correct the problem, ensuring the safety of convenience – and more importantly, the safety – of your home.
You Hear Strange Sounds
Electrical outlets and switches shouldn’t emit any sound. If you hear any buzzing, sizzling, or crackling sounds, you could have a serious problem on your hands. The wires that are connected to the outlet or switch may be loose, the wiring may faulty, or the breaker connected to your outlet may be putting out too few or too many amps.
If you hear strange sounds coming from your outlets or switches, don’t attempt to fix the problem yourself. Instead, immediately shut off the power to the affected area and call a licensed electrician.
The Lights are Flickering
If any lights in your home spontaneously brighten and dim, or they are shut off and turn back on, you can try changing the light bulb. If that doesn’t work, the problem may be an issue with the wiring that’s connected to the light. For example, a wire may be faulty, or it may not be connected properly.
Avoid trying to handle this problem on your own. A licensed electrician will have the knowledge and experience needed to accurately diagnose the cause of the flickering and correct it.
Your Outlets and Switch Plates are Hot
While an electrical current may make a switch plate or outlet mildly warm, it should never be hot to the touch. If you feel excessive heat coming from an outlet when you plug something in or a switch when you turn a light on or off, call an electrician. The outlet or switch may have been incorrectly wired, which is a serious issue that requires an expert to diagnose and repair.
You See Sparks
You should never see sparks coming out of any electrical outlet, switch, breaker, or fuse box. If you do, it’s a sign that something is seriously wrong.
If possible, turn off the electricity and call a licensed electrician immediately. The longer you put the problem off, the greater the chances that a fire will occur.
You Notice a Burning Smell
If you notice the smell of burning plastic coming from outlets, light switches, fixtures, or appliances, call an electrician immediately!
The smell of burning plastic could indicate a major issue that could put your family in serious risk of danger.
If any spot any of these signs in your home, don’t try to fix them on your own. These problems are too serious for someone without proper training and experience to handle. Instead, call a reputable and licensed electrician as soon as possible. Don’t put the safety of your family at risk in the hope of saving yourself a few dollars.
The experts at Fielack Electric will be able to properly identify the cause of your electrical problems and correct them, safely, quickly, and affordably.